Hardwood Refinishing | Wood Floor Restoration | Hardwood Contractors
Hardwood floor refinishing and Wood Floor Restoration is our specialty. Sanding hardwood floors is by far the most difficult task for a DIY homeowner and that's why you need to hire National Floors. Wood floor restoration takes time, it requires a very high skill set and lots of energy (it's labor intensive). Not to mention, high quality, professional grade products for the best and longest lasting results. More information on "Refinishing hardwood floors"
The skill set is broken up into 3 categories:
- Sanding the wood floors- Proper sanding will require 4 different grits to create "Flat" hardwood floors.
- Staining the hardwood floors- Requires the sanding procedure to be correct to achieve even tone.
- Coating the hardwood floors- Most professionals use commercial grade polyurethane that cannot be purchased over the counter. 3 coats is the standard we use.
Choosing the right hardwood floor contractor
The essential qualifications to look for when hiring a Hardwood flooring contractor:
- A valid C15 license which is dedicated towards hardwood floors. General contractors do NOT carry this license.
- Make sure the contractor is insured and bonded for your protection
- A minimum of 10 years of experience with sand and finishing
- A positive online reputation with photos and reviews (Google and Yelp links at the bottom of the page)
National Floors meets these requirements and then some. First of all, hardwood floor sand and refinishing is our specialty. National Floors Sand and refinishes over 100 hardwood floors per year, which means we are well experienced in sanding, staining and coating hardwood floors. Our decades long history in the Bay Area is very positive, leaving our customers with confidence and comfort they need when hiring a contractor. Our goal is simple, take your old worn out hardwood floors and transform them into a "Like New" state. Our cost for refinishing hardwood floors are very fair. Besides price, the main difference between National floors and our competition is the level of craftsmanship. The tools that are used are top notch. We use the best sanding machines for the flattest floors and top coat them with professional grade polyurethane for the best looking and longest lasting protection.
What types of hardwood floors can be Sanded and Refinished
There are many species of hardwood floors that can be sanded: Bamboo, Brazilian Cherry, Santos Mahogany, parquet flooring, Red Oak hardwood, White oak hardwood and more.
Hardwood Floor installation | Solid Hardwood vs Engineered hardwood
National floors install all types of hardwood floors both solid hardwood and engineered. The differences have much to do with the species, the type of flooring and the dimensions. They all play a part in the material cost. Here is a list of some of the basic varieties you can choose from:
• Bamboo flooring both solid and prefinished
• Engineered flooring comes in prefinished and unfinished
• Oak flooring. You have a choice of red oak or white oak
• Solid flooring is the same species from top to bottom
Hardwood flooring has different types or options to choose from depending on the what type of surface you are installing on, i.e., wooden sub-floor or concrete slab. Solid flooring is intended to be nailed down onto a wooden sub-floor. Engineered hardwood is intended to be installed/glued onto a concrete slab. We have found that some contractors see engineered hardwood floor as a one shoe fits all approach and nail it down to sub-floor as well. Engineered hardwood floor is designed to block moisture from the slab and prevent the floor from buckling. Solid hardwood floor is not intended to block moisture and that is why a moisture blocking paper is used in the installation process.
In other words, once the floor is worn, it will need to be replaced and lacks the option to sand and finish to restore to a like "New" appearance. This "Cheap engineered hardwood floors" will seem like the best choice until you weigh out the consequences. You should know, that in the big picture you pay much, much more when you purchase cheap hardwood floors. The low quality engineered CANNOT be sanded and is considered a "One" time floor.
Can I sand my engineered hardwood floors?
That depends on the thickness of the wear layer. Take a look at the "Profile" pic on the right. If your wear layer is as thick as the nickel, then yes we can take care of you.
Why low cost Engineered hardwood floors is a bad investment
- It's a one time floor. There is no chance of restoring it to like new condition through a sand and finish process $$$
- The life of the floor is short and therefore you will need a new floor sooner
- It cost more to remove a glued down floor once it wears vs. the cost of NEW installation $$$
- There will probably be an additional cost for sealing the concrete slab $
- You will need to purchase new flooring material $$$
- New installation cost of the new flooring material $$
- New baseboard material and installation $$
Hardwood Floor Repair
National floors can handle every type of hardwood floor repair. We can fix solid, engineered, oak flooring, etc... Most hardwood floor damage has occurred due to water damage, fire damage, termite damage or just wear and tear.
If in fact you have excessive water damage, please read more. There is a specific protocol that should be implemented prior to any hardwood floor repair. A typical example would be to have a water damage/restoration company come to your home and professionally dry your floor, walls, etc..If your not sure of the process, give us a call and we will run you through the steps.
Composite flooring vs. Luxury Vinyl Tiles or LVT
If you are looking for Luxury Vinyl Tile purchase and installation, National Floors now offers a far superior alternative for about the same price. Composite flooring takes on the appearance of both Stone and Hardwood at a fraction of the cost. The difference is, Composite flooring is 70% Stone construction with a 100% waterproof design. What does that mean? Simply put, vinyl or laminate can't stand up to the life and durability of a composite floor. The manufacturer is offerring a "Lifetime" warranty for residential use. WOW! The designs are beautiful and there are literally dozens of options to choose from. If you are looking for a very affordable alternative to hardwood with an amazing guarantee, composite flooring is the modern choice. Please visit the manufacturers website at Gemcore flooring for choices and samples of these products. After you get an idea of what you want, please Contact our sales team for pricing and a consultation.